Header

Image Map

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Go Dawgs! Go Christmas! Go Southern!

I couldn't have been more excited the other afternoon when I looked in my mailbox. I had received a card from my Granny a few weeks ago saying that I would be getting a subscription to Southern Living for the next year. Well guess what! It already started!
To us Southern girls, Southern Living is somewhat of a bible, we get ideas about our homes, new recipes to try and even hear of wonderful places all around the South to visit.
Well this issue was no different, it is filled with lots of wonderful looking recipes, great gift ideas for Christmas and this YUMMY recipe!
It is perfect for Christmas or to take to a tailgate. (a UGA tailgate that is)

Red Velvet Peppermint Swirl Brownies

Ingredients

  • (4-oz.) bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
  • 3/4 cup butter 
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar, divided 
  • large eggs 
  • (1-oz.) bottle red liquid food coloring
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided 
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened 
  • egg whites 
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 

  • Preparation
  • 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil.
  • 2. Microwave chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk in 2 cups sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition. Add food coloring, peppermint extract, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Gently stir in 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/8 tsp. salt. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  • 3. Beat cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg whites and remaining 1 tsp. vanilla, and beat until blended. Stir in 2 Tbsp. flour until smooth. Drop cream cheese mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls over batter in pan; gently swirl with a knife.
  • 4. Bake at 350° for 30 to 32 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Lift brownies from pan, using foil sides as handles. Gently remove foil; cut brownies into squares.

These are super easy, although your hands might turn a little red during the process. But they are totally worth it.
They were a hit at Andy's parents house and I finally brought the rest to work so that I would stop eating them. Let me know what you think!

Photobucket






9 comments:

Joanna said...

they look great!

anna lizbeth said...

what a sweet granny!!

Katie said...

those look so good and pretty!!

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

My very favorite cake in the world is red velvet. I am going to make red velvet Whoopie pies for Christmas. This looks yummy!

Lindsay said...

I'm so gonna have to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Cathy said...

This Texas girl says, "heck, yeah!" :)

http://cstyledesign.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Found your blog via GFC Blog Hop! I am your newest follower!

Think I might need to try out those brownies. Thanks for sharing!

Have a great Evening!
-Rekita
www.lovelyarmywife.com

My-cliffnotes said...

I've never had this of looks delish

Lauren @ Style Elixir said...

Hi Montana!

I adore your blog and just wanted to let you know I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! Your blog is fabulous and I really think you deserve it! Here are all the details ... http://www.stylelixir.com/2012/12/the-liebster-award.html

Lauren x
www.stylelixir.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...